Ahhh the time has come to say goodbye once again to the city I love. I didn’t have to be at the airport until mid-afternoon so I was able to enjoy the morning a bit. Did some last minute gift shopping at Covent Garden and then took a walk down The Mall and through St. James’s Park. It was such a wonderful day, I couldn’t believe the amazing weather London was going to have and I was going to miss it. That being said, I spent so much time in the hot weather that I ended up with a bunch of itchy spots haha. Anyway,  I had this heavy feeling of sadness that I was leaving. You know how sometimes you’re ready to come home from holiday? You’re tired of living out of a suitcase, eating all your meals in restaurants ect? I was not like that – I really, really wanted to stay. I think I could have used another 4 or 5 days and then I would have been ready. I was having such an amazing time that I didn’t want it to end. I was going to miss the bustle, noise, people, shops, food, smells, just everything.

I check out of my room at the Strand Palace and the driver was already waiting for me. It was a nice drive through the city but made me even more sad. Seeing everyone out walking around, enjoying the warm beautiful day. I was jealous of all of them. I did have a bit of a chuckle when ‘Ain’t No Mountain High Enough’ came on the radio – my Bridget Jones theme was continuing.
The check in was quick and painless at Heathrow but the real drama started when I got upstairs. My bags went through the scanner and I walked through the little beeper machine. I went to grab my stuff and it wasn’t there. It was on a table in the middle, behind the security guards, along with about a dozen others. There was a large group of us standing there waiting for our things. It seemed these bags needed further security checks for whatever reason. They had one man doing this – and taking his very sweet time. People were getting upset because they were getting close to their boarding time. There were about three other security guards just standing there, looking at the angry people and chatting. I was really put off by that – clearly they had nothing better to do, why couldn’t they help and move this process along quicker. It was extremely frustrating and we all let them know. Finally after about a half an hour they got to by bag. I got the attention of an older gentleman who appeared to be a supervisor of some sort. He said that my bad tested positive for traces of explosive materials. I almost burst into tears/threw up at the same time. How in the hell? I was asked a bunch of questions like what do I do for a living, when was the last time I used a gun, who packed this bag, what do your friends living in the UK do for jobs, who else did I interact with. I really, honestly have no idea how this would have happened. My bag was with me the entire trip, it makes you wonder what else you touch/come in to contact with on a daily basis. I assume I put the bag down at some point or brushed up against someone and that’s when the transfer happened. They ran several more tests on my bag and everything in it but eventually let me go. I was shaking, I really couldn’t believe that had just happened, it was so frightening to know I did nothing wrong but I was being put in such a horrible situation. I’ve had many problems with airport security in the past – I think they’re suspicious of females travailing alone but this was the worst. I’m still not impressed by the seemingly somewhat lazy security staff. Lets just stand here and watch people get angry as they miss their flights.

After my ordeal I took a look around the duty free shops. Had to convince myself not to buy anything, I really wanted a bottle of Pimm’s to take home though. I went and had lunch and a pint in one of the restaurants. I totally forgot that I had a Maple Leaf Lounge pass but in the end it didn’t matter. By the time Air Canada decided what gate my flight was leaving from, I had just enough time to get there and get on the plane. I’m also very upset with Air Canada over this and the fact that I paid to use the lounge but wasn’t able to be cause it was too far away and they didn’t announce my gate until just before boarding. Lets just say not only was I sad I was leaving, I was in one pissy mood when I got on that plane.

I settle into my seat for the long flight home. I watched out the window as we taxied down the runway and took off over the city. Bye London.


‘And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make’ – The End by the Beatles